Like the rest of the world, Summit Senior Living is focused intensely on monitoring and preventing COVID-19. It goes without saying that our highest priority to ensure the safety, health, and well-being of our residents and staff. With guidance from state and federal agencies, the Summit team is doing what is necessary to protect our family, residents, and staff alike.
While we have no cases in our communities thus far, we have initiated the following protocols in an effort to prevent COVID-19 from entering our buildings and affecting those who reside and work in our communities:
The main entrance at every property will be locked at all times to minimize unnecessary outside traffic through the building and to allow Summit staff to manage visitor and vendor access. Resident key fobs can be used to enter and instructions will be posted for those who need assistance.
Summit Senior Living Communities are under restrictive visitor guidelines. We will not prohibit people from coming to Summit entirely however, for the safety of each of our residents, we will limit who comes and for what purpose. Visitors permitted are as follows:
- Family/friends who are delivering groceries, medication or other necessary items to a resident.
- Personal care assistants/companions or aides who come to assist residents.
Visitors, staff, vendors, or anyone looking to access our communities will be screened prior to entry. Individuals who have experienced any of the following will NOT be permitted to enter:
- Recently been ill or have had symptoms such as cough, fever, sore throat, runny nose, and/or shortness of breath.
- Recently traveled by airplane or been in a confined space with large groups of people.
- Had the risk of exposure to someone who has tested positive COVID-19.
- All programming, outings, gatherings (including continental breakfast and fitness classes) have been suspended in accordance with the “social distancing” recommendations of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Department of Health.
- Any scheduled Supper Clubs will still be available; however, these will be provided in to-go containers.
This service will continue however we ask that these be ONLY medically necessary trips. We also recommend that you contact your provider and verify that the appointment is still scheduled prior to travel. Scheduled grocery shopping will continue to be available to our residents.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
Summit staff will be wearing masks and gloves as a precautionary measure only to protect both residents and staff.
UPS & FedEx deliveries will be contained in the vestibule and delivered by Summit staff. For perishable or take-out food items being delivered, the delivery person must call the resident to alert them to pick it up at the main door. If the resident needs assistance, they should call the office. Office support will be available during office hours only. U.S Mail delivery will continue as usual.
To limit the number of people through our buildings, tours will be accommodated but they will not have access to the entire building.
Until further notice, we will not be able to accommodate guest suite reservations.
VOLUNTARY SELF-QUARANTINE (Travel or possible exposure):
Residents are asked to voluntarily self-quarantine in their apartment for a period of 14 days, under the following circumstances:
- You have had indirect contact with someone who tested positive or you have had direct exposure to COVID-19.
- You have traveled anywhere by air, even non-level 2 or 3 countries within the last 14 days.
- You have been in large groups in confined spaces within the last 14 days.
NOTE: This is not a New York State DOH mandate. It is simply a recommendation and precautionary action.
CLEANING & DISINFECTING:
Summit efforts to disinfect high touch areas such as handrails, elevators, doorknobs and common areas continue. Additional professional cleaning services are coming weekly to take extra precaution in disinfecting our communities.
Periodic wellness calls are being placed to residents as we know how difficult these times are. Residents and families are encouraged to keep in touch with office staff with questions, concerns, or needs and we will do our best to assist.
Thank you for taking the time to review this update. Please be assured that every decision we make is carefully evaluated and resident and staff safety is at the center of all decisions.